Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

17 July 2010

8 Bits O' Nevsky - Microsoft sucks edition

It was very disappointing to hear from bro that Microsoft was putting the kibosh on 1 vs. 100 Live. I was surprised to hear it; I thought it was doing well, I mean, it was doing well, I don't even think that was the issue.

When I was looking at non-Wii consoles, the PS3 was a no-brainer. Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 were the exclusives I absolutely had to try, and I did not give a rat's tush about Halo or Mass Effect. But playing 1 v. 100 Live at my buddy's house was the first time I felt the XBox console gave a must-play experience that justified its purchase, indeed justified its fifty-bucks-on-top-of-the-console experience. Without it the XBox becomes far less desirable,since its free service is horrible compared to the PS3's (which is no great shakes but very nice for free). Heck, even the Wii will give you two-player games for free. For fifty bucks a year I'd have expected 1 vs. 100 to be the rule, not the one exception Microsoft felt they can't afford anymore.

Really, without it, what part of XBox Live is worth fifty bucks?

No comments: