Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

29 June 2004

And redneckers, they get us pissed/And stupid stuff, it makes us shout...

My dear friend from college surprised me with a box from Amazon (ooh, I do so love getting those Amazon boxes!); the Pixies DVD. It's all a delight, the concert, the "documentary" (Bowie, Thom Yorke, PJ Harvey, and others taking turns kissing tush), the "stalking Kim Deal", er, I mean, the "behind the scenes" film, but there's one reason I'd recommend this to anyone in my age group.

The hilariously shitty videos.

Granted, some of them are purposefully shitty, like "Monkey Gone to Heaven", but "Velouria", even as a joke, is like watching flies...make a shitty rock video. Even the "good" ones, like "Here Comes Your Man" and "Alec Eiffel" have a cheap sheen that you just can't see on MTV anymore, now that a six-figure budget and dressing girls in TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE CLOTHING WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT...sorry...have become requirements for videos. You gotta love the fact that 3/4 of the band knew how ugly and unmarketable they were, and put themselves on the screen anyway.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch them on their reunion tour after getting screwed by Lollapalooza. God bless the Pixies.

No comments: