Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

05 September 2004

What's in the water in Iceland? (or, "They're not even good enough to try something like this!")

When I was a DJ in college, the CDs and albums used to have label stickers on which the more opinionated of us could leave comments about what was good, what was horrible, what tracks to play, etc. I've left my marks on those albums I considered worthwhile (and got called a dick for referring to the Charlatans UK as "Stone Roses soundalikes"), but the quote in the subject line came from someone leaving a mark on one of my favorite albums, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, the album where they chucked their New Romanticism completely and immediately killed their album sales (Laughing Stock was just as good)...

Although I disagreed with his sentiment, I completely understood the anger the critic felt. It's always fun to slag the obvious hacks, the Toby Keiths and Britney Spearseseseses, but we seem to reserve special bile for those we consider mediocre who attempt to release "statements". As far as I'm concerned, Tori Amos should put away that goddamn harpsichord forever, but I'd readily concede I just don't get it. Someone feel free to explain it to me...

Anyway, I've been enjoying reading the Amazon comments about the new Bjork album; personally, I think this album beats the merely pretty good Vespertine by about half a mile, but I understand the hatred, too. Thanks to my local record store's liberal "listen before you buy" policy, I also got () by Iceland's Sigur Ros, which seems to provoke the same "love or hate" responses. This album is making me its servant boy rather quickly with its gorgeous, caustic, life-affirming brilliance. I'd certainly buy an album on a one in five chance that it's the real deal, even if I get stuck with a Boys for Pele from time to time...

Heaven bless those who reach for the moon, even when they fall flat on their face. Too bad we can't all be Nigel Tufnels and clearly see that fine line between genius and stupidity...

No comments: