Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

21 July 2004

Things I learned in Charleston...

* If you go to Charleston, I recommend The Indigo Inn. Not the best room I've ever had, but one of the nicest experiences in a hotel ever thanks to an incredibly friendly staff and beautiful courtyard. Then again, I'm a sucker for a good courtyard.

* At about 382 different points in the city you will be accosted and asked if you would like free tickets to various tourist destinations in exchange for a quick presentation about a vacation club, definitely not a timeshare. For some reason, my wife and I were constantly asked if we were married first, leading to giggly non-answers from me. Anyway, the presentation was insultingly bad, since I usually whip out the checkbook and my wife has to chloroform me while I'm scribbling "THOUSAND". C'mon! You call THAT a hard sell?

* If you've recently bought property south of Broad Street on the historic district, people hate you. Well, I can vouch for two tour guides and one jazz guitarist...

* If you're a Revolutionary-War-era redcoat, they're probably not too fond of you either...

* Apparently, red shoes were used to identify whores in the old days of Charleston, though a Saks Fifth Avenue retail assistant didn't seem too happy when my wife pointed that out. No, the retail assistant wasn't WEARING the red shoes, though that would have made the story funnier...

* Don't be late for your carriage tour...

* Hyman's Seafood. Delish.

No comments: