Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

05 June 2011

Run fatboy run...

As I've alluded to in the past, in the ongoing efforts to not die as quickly as I might I went back on the ol' diet and exercise regimen. My efforts culminated in the completion of my first 5K, as I ran in the "4 The Wounded" race held at UVa's Research Park yesterday.

As someone who went through the "From Couch to 5K" program in spirit but not in detail, I had a few go-to sources to keep inspired. #1? Definitely check out the Facebook pages of your insanely-intense Facebook friends. I had two out of my modest stash who I could always count on to promote the latest regimen or diet tip, or mention their latest accomplishment. They were more than happy to respond whenever I had a question about a sticking point as well.

My second source? Rocky III. Never failed to pump me up. The music, the great lines ("the worst thing that could happen to a fighter happened to you. You got civilzed.") And of course, the scene where Sly and Carl Weathers frolic together on the beach in shallow surf. Oh, that scene...

Sorry, lost my train of thought...

No comments: