Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

22 April 2007

Who needs another post on this?

Since a bulk of the posts on the tragedy at Virginia Tech have been of the "This is precisely the reason why we must (insert pet agenda here)" stripe, I really don't feel the need to contribute to the noise, but having subjected myself to this noise over the week, as distasteful as I've found many posts on both sides of the issue, one thing sticks in my craw.

As a former university instructor and a person who remains in a university town, the idea that the solution to events like these is to let students have concealed weapons is simply breathtaking in its idiocy. In my undistinguished, short, and pedestrian career, without thinking too hard I recall three occasions when a student made me uncomfortable over a situation that I wouldn't have considered important enough to become emotional about. I find it hard to believe that advocates of this plan would really want to put their security in the hands of young adults who are, for the most part, learning to become responsible, but based on my observations, aren't there yet. Don't even get me started about the presence of alcohol.

But we can agree to disagree. Ted Nugent wrote an article on this for CNN.com, and although I couldn't disagree more, Ted Nugent is hardly a hypocrite on the issue. After all, his concerts are famous for being "gun-free-free" zones, where concertgoers are welcome to bring in as many guns as they want to protect the Nuge from anybody who might decide to cause trouble by bringing a gun to a Ted Nugent concert.

No comments: