Cafepress

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

04 November 2004

Press 1 for famine, 2 for pestilence, 3 for Condoleeza, and 4 for death...

OK, I'm not going to go on about the either theft or idiocy that went on last Tuesday. Apparently half the country loves incompetence and terrorism, and I'm just going to have to deal. And so, new topic...

Thanks to my local music store's liberal listen-before-you-buy policy, I can let you know about the latest Robyn Hitchcock CD. Hitchcock fans will probably agree with my assessment that when Robyn is good, he's very, very good, but when he is bad, he sucks. Lesser Hitchcock can be positively painful, and only his best works avoid the "every album has at least one goofy-ass clunker" rule. Spooked is better Hitchcock once you get past "Television", and some of his stuff, like "We're Going to Live In The Trees" and the hilarious "Welcome to Earth" (from which the above quote is taken), is his best stuff in years. Since I'm a cheap-ass bastard, you should interpret as a glowing review the fact that I almost bought this album after listening to it.

But I bought another Sigur Ros album instead. No, wait, it's good, come back...

UPDATE:I was presented with Spooked thanks to the kindness of a dear friend of ours (and frequent reader of this blog, hee), and screw everything I said above, it's arguably the best thing Robyn's ever done.

No comments: